Fords MAF

DIRK BROER OADDAB at STDVAX.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Mon Aug 22 20:05:38 GMT 1994

>> >What metod do the latest ford MAFs use to measure MAF.  Flapper valve,
>> >hot wire (doubt it) or?
>>
>> They are all hot wire, and because of the sampling method don't require
>> the old-style burn off.
>>

>Can anyone elaborate on burn off and the sampling methods employed?

Ford MAF sensors differ from the standard Bosch sensors.  The Bosch Sensors
typically have a large screen infront of the wire and a wire that crosses
the full width of the MAF sensor.  So if you have a 70mm MAF the hot wire
is 70MM long.  The ford sensor uses a small venturi placed in the air-
stream (I think to one side)  since it is much smaller - it doesn't get as
dirty and therefor doesn't need the burn-off (at least according to the
Probst book).  The problem comes when the sensor gets modified - any change
in the air-flow characteristics can/will change the signal vs. air flow
characteristics.  Someone on the net mentioned that porting the Ford
Sensors was a neat way to lean out the WOT fuel mixture - from what I have
seen WOT on the Mustang can be as much as 11:1 A/F ratio - plenty safe but
not necessarily optimum power.

Also it seems the aftermarket MAF sensors are geared to a specific injector
size.  So on a mustang you can buy 77MM MAF - tuned for both 19lbs and
24lbs injectors.

Dirk