EFI questions...

Ed Carryer carryer at cdr.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 7 05:15:15 GMT 1994

Bob,

the laod figure for a MAF equipped engine is Mass Air per Intake Stroke.
i.e. flow rate(mass/unti time) divided by the cylinder fillings/unit time.

If you haven't dis-assembled what you've got (fuel system wise).
I'd set up the MAF w/ a computer to do data acq.
and map the engine myself. It will be somewhat off
because of the change in intake dynamics (assuming you are
replacing a carb or TBI) but should get you in the ballpark.

A map from another engine might get you into the right county
but not as good as mapping your engine. It will be heavily
influenced by valve timing, valve size, intake dynamics...
best to get as many of these right as possible.

With a 'perfect' MAF you shouldn't need a TPS, but we all know about
perfect sensors ;) A simulated 'pump shot' is one good use of TPS.

Knock sensors, at least the ones I know about are pretty nasty.
they are really just accelerometers mounted on the intake manifold (usually).
they are usually tuned to the resonant frequency of the combustion chamber
so as to reject as much backgound noise as possible. But they still
require after treatment to get a determination of 'knock'
this usually involves things like integrating the output over a crank
angle window when knock should occur (if present) and comparing that to
some threshold (black art here...) to determine knock. what sounds like
a straight forward task gets real messy in reality.
Does anyone know if the situation is better than this today ?
My experience is several years old now.

good luck,
ed