EFI questions...

Bob Valentine ravalent at liii.com
Wed Dec 7 03:26:41 GMT 1994

    I'm the "other half" of a fuel injection project on a Olds 350.
So far, my co-conspiritior and I have decided on using a MAF based system,
mainly for simplicity (In programming and in implementation).

    I'm starting to look at the programming half, and am getting in a little
over my head.  Here's some questions I need answered:

   1.   In a MAF based system, how is load on the motor figured?
        Along with that, given a choice of standard sensors, what's
        the simplest way to figure load?   (I assume MAP)

   2.   Are there any example of fuel maps available for public
        inspection?   I'm interested in seeing how some people
        have interpolated the values, and what values they're using.
        Ideally, I'd like to find a V8 map...

   3.   TPS sensors -- what info do we derive from them.   For now,
        about all I can think of is how hard we're accelerating.
        I'm sort of thinking of it as a analog accelerator pump.
        One of the software folks asked, "Why do we even need them?"

   4.   Is there a list/FAQ of "commonly used sensors" and how
        they relate to each other and the system as a whole?

   5.   Knock sensors -- has anyone experimented with them in
        DIY systems?   I'm still not totally immeresed in how
        they operate, but from a GM book, I managed to gain
        that they will put out a AC signal or around 2.5 volts
        when a knock state is present.

        Are there different sensors for different engines, since
        a V8 might have a different knock "signature" than a
        I4?

   6.   A little off the FI subject; I noticed that the GM DIS system
        (At least on a '91 Cavalier) uses the same control wires as
        the old C3 compu-distributor system.   Do they use the same
        form of control?    If so, what's the control method.

   That's all for now... BTW, the volume thru the List seems very low
lately... any reason?

                     -->   Bob Valentine  <--
                    --> ravalent at liii.com  <--
            "Hard Acceleration Saves Costly Aggravation"