Introduction...

Michael F. Sargent MSargent at gallium.com
Wed Dec 7 17:52:06 GMT 1994

I just joined this list, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Mike Sargent and I work for Gallium Software in Nepean Canada
(a suburb of Ottawa). I have a B.Math in Computer Science from the University
of Waterloo. Since graduating (14 years ago) I've been working for Gallium
(formerly Prior Data Sciences). Currently I am a software manager responsible
for porting Delrina's FormFlow from Windows to UNIX.

I am very experienced in software, specifically real-time data aquisition
and control. I have done some hardware design work at the hobby level.

My project is to convert my boat from points-and-carb to a modern engine
management system. The boat engine is a Mercruiser MC470. The MC470 is a
3.6L I4 developing 170HP (stock). This engine is unique in that the block
is not a marinized version of an automobile block (most sterndrives are).

This engine is based on 1/2 of a Ford 460 V8. Mercuriser cast a new block
using only 4 cylinders, but most of the internal parts are stock 460 parts.
In particular, the head is a Ford casting (D3VE if you care). I suspect
that the block, crank, cam, and both manifolds are unique, but most other
parts are stock 460 parts. I'll know for sure when I strip down the engine
(in a couple of weeks). I purchased a spare engine so my experimentation
won't leave me high and dry (literally).

The ignition system is a standard points system with centrifical (but not
vacuum) advance. I put in an MSD-6M-2 this summer which made quite an
improvement. The carberator is a 2BBL which probably needs a rebuild.
Starting is a bit of a chore, and performance is so-so. I'd really like to
replace that with a modern EFI system.

I'm going to rebuild the entire engine from the pan up. The long block rebuild
will concentrate on increasing efficiency and strength. I would like to have
the long block strong enough to handle a blower or nitrous, but those aren't
in the immediate plans.

My goal is to have an easy to start, reliable, engine ready for next summer.
Hopefully it will deliver 1HP per cubic inch (say around 230 horses).

BTW: If I try to get any files from Majordomo at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
I recieve the following message:

> From Majordomo-Owner at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu  Wed Dec  7 11:16:56 1994
> Date: Wed, 7 Dec 94 16:09:03 GMT
> To: MSargent at gallium.com
> From: Majordomo at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Majordomo file: list 'diy_efi' file 'litlist.ps'

> MAIL DELETED BECAUSE OF LACK OF DISK SPACE

I check with our system administrator and he doesn't think the disk space
problem is at our end. I requested litlist.ps because it was the smallest
file, but others fail as well.

Does anyone know how I can get access to the files. I would really like to read
through archive_current to catch up.

Thanks in advance,
                   Mike