Hello

David Cooley cooldave at nando.net
Mon Dec 12 11:29:50 GMT 1994

Hello..
Forgot to introduce myself.
I am Dave Cooley.  No college, worked for Hughes Aircraft for 5 yrs in
Test equipment and pc repair, now have worked for 6 yrs for Siemens
Medical Systems repairing and maintaining MRI and Cat scan systems.
As I mentioned before, I am designing and building my own J1850/OBDII
interface to hook onboard computers to laptops.  The J1850 BUS looks like
a very good system for this project to interface all facets together with
and is very simple.  CPU hooks to 2 chips and the output is at J1850.  It
is a single wire, High noise immune system.  Harris semiconductor makes
the chips and they will interface with just about any micro.  They are
also very inexpensive.  Harris makes most of the internals for the
Chrysler PCM's, and has a lot of dedicated chips. IE Knock Sensor system
(1 chip) Injector drivers, Electronic ignition drivers etc.  Their parts
are all very inexpensive and the CPU's of these PCM's are based on the
motorols MC68HC05.  Harris calls it the HIP7030A0.  It is a 6805 without
eeprom or ram.  $25.00 retail.  Just like the 'hc05, it comes as masked
rom, eeprom, ram etc.  I am sort of reverse engineering, as they are
designing for the Auto makers PCM usage, but I just have to change the
code in my controller.  This bus interface will also allow the design of
an ECM here to be OBD_II compliant and possibly be used on the road
legally.  By 1998, all vehicles in the US have to be OBD_II compliant.
Just a suggestion, but this will keep this project on top of technology!
Best part, again, is low cost.  The 2 interface chips are 6.00 each retail.
Thanks,
Dave Cooley
cooldave at nando.net