Hello

Ryan A Erickson eric0019 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Mon Dec 12 13:54:55 GMT 1994

On Mon, 12 Dec 1994, David Cooley wrote:

> Hello..
> Forgot to introduce myself.
> I am Dave Cooley.  No college, worked for Hughes Aircraft for 5 yrs in
> Test equipment and pc repair, now have worked for 6 yrs for Siemens
> Medical Systems repairing and maintaining MRI and Cat scan systems.
> As I mentioned before, I am designing and building my own J1850/OBDII
> interface to hook onboard computers to laptops.  The J1850 BUS looks like
> a very good system for this project to interface all facets together with
> legally.  By 1998, all vehicles in the US have to be OBD_II compliant.

Actually, by 1996 all vehicles in the US must be OBDII compliant.  The
Clean Air Act of 1990 will allow the EPA to accept Califormia systems
through 1998.  So OBDII is required by 1996 but if the manufacturer can't
make it they must at least meet California requirements through 1998 when
California and OBDII requirements are identical.

It should be noted that the LT1 Corvette and 3.8L Buick Regal were OBDII
compliant as of MY 1994.  The only thing these cars don't do is enable
the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), or another "Check Engine" light.
They do store the codes in memory though, so a technician with the TECH 1
can read the faults.  For 1995, the 4.3L GMC Sonoma/Jimmy and Chev
S-10/S-10 Blazers are fully OBDII compliant.  Also the 2.3L Quad 4's in
the new Cavaliers and Pont. Sunfires should be fully OBDII compliant.
Finally, the 1995 Camaro's and Firebird's should be fully OBDII
compliant.

I am not sure about any companies other than GM but I would think that at
least Ford would probably have a couple vehicles out there with OBDII as
well.

Ryan