Boost detection

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Thu Jun 2 03:35:25 GMT 1994

sdbartho at cca.rockwell.com writes:
> I need a method to detect a certain level of boost on a '91 GMC Syclone.
> (P4 ECM, Turbo 4.3L)
> I'm trying to design a booster (fuel)pump system that will provide added
> volume when the boost is greater than 14 psi.
> What I'm thinking so far is to use the MAP sensor to trigger a FET/relay
> to turn on the second pump, but I'm not really sure I know what levels to
> expect out of the MAP.

Seems like a lot of trouble when all you need is a hobbs switchs.

> Anyone have any pump recommendations? I need pump capable of at least 80 psi,
> and I would prefer a high volume unit as well.

80 psi at what volume?

> Also, anybody got any good ideas on how to monitor O2 output at the track?
> OTC's are pretty expensive, but the only other method I can think of is a
> DMM in max mode.(would get a rich indication anyway) Stoich on GM sensors is
> around .4-.45 volts, correct?

O2 sensors are pretty much useless except at idle and cruise.  450mV is
stoich...  actually about 400-500mV I guess is "damn close" to stoich.
Anything roughly between 300mV and 600mV is "real close" to stoich.
Anything outside of that range is inconsistant and is best interpretted
as "somewhere rich" and "somehwere lean".

Jonathan R. Lusky  --  lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
 "Turbos are nice but I'd rather be blown!"
   89 Jeep Wrangler - 258 / For Sale: $8000 obo
       80 Toyota Celica - 20R / 5spd