Some ideas...

p.beaubien1 at genie.geis.com p.beaubien1 at genie.geis.com
Thu Jun 2 07:36:52 GMT 1994

Hi all,

I don't want to sound ignorant or anything, but what exactly is the WWW
server and home page? I'm access this list through Genie, so all I really
have access to is the messages (for now anyway).

I've been pretty idle for the last little while on this net, partialy
becuase I haven't had much to add, but mostly because I haven't had the
time. Now that the list has died down a little, I thought that I'd leave a
message to see if I could get some more discussions going.

Should we design the system such that it is a speed density or MAF system? I
think that a MAF system would be much better and easier than a speed density
type, but I have seen some messages where people have stated that they wish
to use a speed density system. Why?

Now about sensors. Can someone suggest a car from which I could cannibalize
a MAF sensor/throttle body? An arrangement that could allow a maximum of 200
hp would be plenty (for now atleast... <g>). Something reasonably cheap and
common would be nice. I'd most likely be getting the setup from an auto
recycler. Are there specs available for MAF sensor that give a current vs.
mass of air curve? If I understand what I've read correctly, the computer
determines the current necessary to maintain a constant temperature accross
the wire in the sensor. Is this a part of the controller, or is it done
automatically inside the sensor? What sort of support circuitry would be
required to use a MAF sensor if it doesn't have the built in "smarts"?

Now for O2 sensors. I've heard (incorrectly?) that Honda uses an O2 sensor
that gives you a better idea of the mixture, rather than just rich or lean.
I'm sure that it would cost quite a bit (if this puppy even exists) but I
have a feeling that it would be worth the extra effort and cost to implement.

Lastly, how many timing marks should the wheel (or whatever) have to provide
accurate info for the computer. The article on a distributorless ignition
system from PEM uses only 8 marks. At say 8000 rpm, how accurately can the
computer determine the angle of the engine, and how accurate does it need to
be? One degree? Two? Would it be better to have many marks, say each
representing 2 crank degrees, so that the computer doesn't have to
constantly calculate the speed of the engine? Instead, all that you would
have to do is tell it to count so many marks from a known positition,
activate injector number 1 for x number of counts (depending on MAF and RPM
etc), count Z many more marks, fire coil, repeat for next cylinder, etc...
Which would require less processing power? I have a feeling that up to a
certain point (RPM wise), one would be better than the other.

Does any of this make any sense, or am I way out in left field playing my
own little ball game?

Thanks,

Matt.