EMI

DIRK BROER OADDAB at STDVAX.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Tue Jun 7 17:33:41 GMT 1994

>My question to the group:
>
>Have other encounter similar problems? Has anyone used ALS or AS with a MSD
>ignition module nearby? What have you built and what logic families have you
>used? How much shielding?

Well I have used AS or ASL chips with a cicuit built on a perf board by a
professional technition.  The chips in quest where 54XX series.  We need a
quick way to convert 1773 (fiber optic) to 1553 (tri-state broadcast bus).
Not only did the AS chips prove to be noisy - they actually changed output
state so fast - due to nose spike etc. - that the fiber optic transmitters
would latch due to a high pulse and never unlatch do to the negative going
half of the pulse.  These chips also seemed to be very sensative and as a
comparator any little ripple was likely to cause a large response.
Basically they added noise to the circuit.  Since we were only worried
about signals at about 1M Hz a switch to HC chips was all that was needed.

FYI 54xx series logic is the mil spec version of 74XX logic.

I suspect that rather than a high speed cpu, you might want to consider off

So you get a high accuracy clock.. divide down the output frequencies so
that you have a 1Hz clock to gather slow data and maybe a 1K Hz clock to
gather fast data.  At the pulse you latch whatever data is there (and maybe
reset the counters).  The cpu can then read the latched data at is leasure
and make adjustments accordingly.

Dirk