Using the MC68332?

John S Gwynne jsg
Fri Jun 24 22:57:18 GMT 1994

--------

   In message <199406242042.AA10572 at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> , you write:

|     So - has anyone out there (if there *is* anyone out there!) ever
| used the Motorola 68332, or related product?  I've heard a lot of great
| things about this chip, but how much work is needed to develop a system?
| Is there a commonly available compilier, preferably in C?  How about
| an evaluation or prototype system, which has the RAM, EEPROM (flash would
| be nice), A/D's, serial port, etc?

The last I heard, the evaluation boards where in the $700 range for the
cheapest of the series. I can build (and have started) a 16MHz 68HC000 with
512k EPROM, 16k battery backed-up SRAM, 512k DRAM, timer(s), UART, status
LED's, and wacthdog timer for about $375.  Sound like a lot of EPROM/DRAM? I
envision a system that can store everything for, say, the past 20 seconds and
recall it latter for diagnostic purposes. I would also like to play with
predictive filters on the MAP and TPS inputs to improve throttle response
(ie., no explicit acceleration enrichment term in the injector duration
equation). Maybe even a little fuzzy logic?

I figured that I would start with this CPU and then switch to one of the
CPU32's when the prices drop. They are software compatible (for the most
part). GNU's GCC and GAS seem like the best choice for a compiler and
cross-assembler. I have both running now and am in the process of
wire-wrapping the 68HC000 board(s).

                                       John S Gwynne
                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu