your mail

Brian Scott Haskett haskett at cs.utexas.edu
Thu May 5 18:16:17 GMT 1994

On Thu, 5 May 1994, Mark Shirley wrote:

> For some time now, I have been kicking around an idea for a pet project of
> mine.  I have a 300 cubic inch straight six ford engine in a truck, and I
> am considering some sort of port efi.  I think I can get it to work with
> a six cylinder setup off of something else.  I have also been thinking of
> using a paxton supercharger on this setup.  Any problems I may run into?

I've been thinking about doing something similar... If anyone knows what
the head of a Ford 200 looks like, then you can understand why I want to
ditch the single carb on my '66 stang and use port injection.  The intake
is basically a cast-in pipe, with holes into the combustion chambers.
That's a dumb intake design, but at least by going to port injection, I
could solve the problem of the fuel having to travel that horendous path
(thought the air will still have to).  I wouldn't want to mess up my
almost-totally stock classic car, so I would do this on a junk-yard
head.  Just drill some holes to get a straight shot into the chambers,
and weld on buses for the injectors.... Sounds good in theory to me, but
I don't think a stock EFI computer will do the job on such a radical
carry-over.  Another thing I would have to look into is if injectors
exist that would give the designed fuel spray at that distance from the
intake port....

The bane of the Ford 200 is that it refuses to idle smoothly, and
hopefully an EFI set-up would help out.