crank sensors

John S Gwynne jsg
Tue May 10 15:28:25 GMT 1994

|   i think that drilling into the Harm. Bal. would be a mistake. I am not
|   sure, but  i think this could  damage the balancing of the H. B.? ?
|
|   Perhaps, a better way of getting the timing down would be to use a
|   seperate plate bolted to the balancer's bolt containing the magnets to be
|   picked up with externally mounted sensor just like you speak of.

Micro Switch (made by MG magnets?) makes what looks like a small socket
head screw (rather: a screw with a magnet in the end) that could easily be
placed in the harmonic balancer. I would want to use a horizontal mill
to properly locate the holes, but if you hand selected four (V8) equally
weighted magnets, I would not be concerned with the balance (IMHO). The last
concern is how strong are they. I have not bought any yet, so I don't know
for sure if it would handle high revs (the catalog I have doesn't give
a spec. for this). I suspect it would.

                                       John S Gwynne
                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu