O2 fouling, EEC V

Jim Pieronek jvp%fuelrod at juliet.ll.mit.edu
Fri Nov 4 00:56:12 GMT 1994

Craig Pugsley writes:

 > ii/ Does anyone know much about EEC V - is there much info available on
 >     it yet? The current model 6 cylinder family car here has EEC V with
 >     'variable intake length' (2 lengths possible) manifold. It is also
 >     speed limited to around 110mph which I found interesting, as it
 >     probably has enough power to do 140. The reason for this is
 >     supposedly to 'reduce the design envelope'-IE brakes don't need to
 >     be as big etc. Given that our speed limit is 60-65 mph it's
 >     pretty academic anyway.

I worked on engine controls at the Generous Motors Lansing Powertrain
Engineering Center several years ago.  They limited the speed on the
Quad 4 cars to 106 MPH because of the tires.  You have to slap on some
pretty good (expensive) tires to be able to survive 140 MPH for long.

"That'll be $0.02 please",
Jim
J. V. Pieronek                            Phone: (505) 243-5822
M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory                 FAX:   (505) 243-5823
Terminal Radar Development Facility       Internet: jvp at ll.mit.edu
Albuquerque, New Mexico