A nice automotive chip

MTN-KAT met at pine.cse.nau.edu
Tue Nov 8 02:24:21 GMT 1994

Steve Ciciora turned me onto a really nice Engine Interface Peripheral chip
from Silicon Systems.
>From the data sheet: (copied without permission)

     The 67F687 is a high performance MSICs ( Mixed Signal Integrated Circuit )
designed to work with a microprocessor in an engine management system. Using two
sensor inputs (crank and cam), the 67F687 tracks engine position through one or
two complete revolutions with a resolution of 0.25 degrees. Designed to be
flexible, the 67F687 will accept a variety of sensor types and pulse patterns.
It generates ignition and injection output pulses based on position and time
parameters supplied by the host microprocessor, relieving it of many of the real
time interrupt routines associated with these tasks. These outputs can directly
drive power devices to actuate automotive ignition coils and fuel injectors. A
sense input from each device allows individual diagnostics, short circuit
protection and ignition coil current limiting. A timer, which measures coil
charge time at the ignition sense inputs, enhances closed loop dwell control.
Communication with a host microprocessor is through a parallel data and address
bus. A general purpose parallel I/O port offers level sensitive input and output
capability, in addition to edge detect inputs and PWM outputs.

Features:
Engine Control Applications
2 or 4 cycle engines
Parallel microprocessor bus for control
Configurable for a variety of sensor patterns
Variable Reluctance or Hall Effect sensor inputs
Engine position angle counter to 10,000 RPM
4 igniton outputs (8 individual spark advance values)
8 ignition outputs
Dwell timer
Igniton coil current limit (for use with external power transistors)
Injector driver short circuit protection
Diagnostics
8 programmable I/O lines
PWM outputs
Edge detect inputs
On chip oscillator with buffered 8 MHz/31.25 KHz output
+5V operation CMOS technology for low power consumption
Operating temperature range -40 to +125C
68 pin PLCC

The chip are in the low 20's for small quantities. I don't know yet what the
break is, IFF enough people are interested then I will contact them for more
information. I already have two of these chips and am redesigning my project
around them.
I'll be using two 6811's and two 67F687's. Here's why;
I am designing a complete Engine Managment System, Distributorless Ignition
with Multiple Spark Discharge in software running 8 coils. A custom ram tuned
intake manifold with SEFI, enhanced with 4 plenum injectors running Ethanol for
top-end power. The engine is a stroked 427Ford with 473cid, ported and polished,
balanced and blueprinted, nitrous injected.

Millam