Found.. 8051 FAQ.

Ciciora Steve sciciora at al.noaa.gov
Tue Nov 8 20:12:26 GMT 1994

Craig Pugsley writes:

<8051 FAQ stuff deleted>

>Now, back to an EFI question.
>
>This is what I plan to do to get it running:
>
>I'm going to just use a "3-D" look-up table, with RPM on one axis and
>load on the other (load being just engine vacuum level for starters).
>The location pointed to by RPM and load will be a number that is used
>for a counter that turns on the injectors:
>
>I plan to use 4 bits (=16 points) for the RPM axis and 5 bits (=32
>points) for the load axis, giving a total of 512 settings - (Co
>incidentally the same way that other well known controllers are laid
>out).
>
>Once I get an engine to run then I'll start thinking about an
>accelerator pump, cold starting, over-run cut off, altitude
>compensation,
>EGO correction etc etc etc.
>
>Does the 3D table sound described above sound like a reasonable
>implementation? Has anyone tried something like this before?
>
>Craig.

  It sounds like your line of reasoning is very similar to mine!  I'm
working on some code to do 4 point linear interpolation for the fuel map.
My fuel map will take an 8 bit number (0->255) for the engine RPM and an
8 bit number for the engine load.  It will then output a number (8 bits?
16 bits?) proportional to the amount of fuel to inject.  My map will be
17 x 17 x 8 bit numbers.  Even though i will use the upper 4 bits (0->15)
for the lookup of the map, to get a point on either side of the 0->15
number you need 17 points, hence the 17 x 17 map instead of 16 x 16.