Carb adjustment using exhaust temp...

James C Patterson james at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 10 01:14:44 GMT 1994

This is somewhat off the aim of this group but until I do an EFI I might
as well use what I've got.

Someone at one point (I think it was this list) mentioned using
thermocouples in the exhaust (one per cylinder) to measure for mixture and
balance.  What type of readings would you be looking for?  Higher
temperatures on lean burning or just the opposite?  And are there actual
values to look for other then the realitive Delta-T?

The engine is a Nissan staight 6 with dual carbs, therefore the mixture
balance issue.

If I can work this out it will very simple to install sheathed
thermocouples in the air injection ports of the header and run a
data-logger to pull up some real-time info of actual use.

James
james at uclink.berkeley.edu