Various comments

John S Gwynne jsg
Thu Oct 27 02:51:38 GMT 1994

--------

   In message <m0r0JVe-000CuVC at knuth.mtsu.edu> , you write:

| John S Gwynne writes:

| Cool, I built an m68k-sun-sunos4.0.3 crosscompiler (gcc 2.6.0) on my
| SS2/4.1.3 a few weeks ago (needed to compile ncsa httpd for a customer,
| they didn't have enough disk space to build gcc).  I didn't have any
| trouble, but I had all of the sun3's include files, and was able to run
| the float.h builder on the sun3 itself.

ah, but did that system have a mc68881/2 coprocessor? (I bet it did.) If so
you would need a soft floating point libgcc.a. Its been a long time since
work stations were made without math coprocessors. No big-deal though. Either
way you could program the EFI68k over the serial port right now with only three
or four more files (loader script, front end stub, ...).

| I tried crosscompiling glibc and threw in the towel.  Whats the secret?
| Of course, I wasn't trying to do an embedded systems version, I was just
| doing the normal glibc.  I ended up stealing the functions 4.0.3's
| libc.a was missing from a 4.1.1 libc.a "patch".

secret.... stop working only to eat, drink, and sleep for about four days
straight (note: no smilely face). I've compiled it for os4 but ended up with
almost every function having a kernel call for things like error handling and
heap space allocation. I went back through and extracted only the functions I
needed (not many) and removed all the kernel calls. Porting the library in
RTEMS looks like the way to go now... I'll let you know.

                                       John S Gwynne
                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu