UEGO, the universal Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Mon Sep 26 12:23:15 GMT 1994

BigBrother at mail.utexas.edu writes:

> Does anybody know if Ford's project to develop an EGO with
> proportional air/fuel ratio voltage output was ever completed?
> It would be nice to have one of those sensors to simplify the
> calibration of an efi system.  I remeber Jon Lusky mentioned
> something like this existed, but it cost hundreds of bucks and
> only lasted 100 hours or so.

Yes, UEGO's have been around for a few years.  I'm not sure who
perfected them, NGK makes most of them.  The ones I was using in
1992-1993 (NGK's repackaged by Horiba) cost $900 each and had a working
life of about 200 hours.  I'm pretty sure the price has come
down some since then.

Jonathan R. Lusky  --  lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
 "Turbos are nice but I'd rather be blown!"
    68 Camaro Convertible - 350 / TH350
       80 Toyota Celica - 20R / 5spd