UEGO

Dirk Broer OADDAB at abacus.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 26 14:11:54 GMT 1994

>Does anybody know if Ford's project to develop an EGO with
>proportional air/fuel ratio voltage output was ever completed?
>It would be nice to have one of those sensors to simplify the
>calibration of an efi system.  I remeber Jon Lusky mentioned
>something like this existed, but it cost hundreds of bucks and
>only lasted 100 hours or so.

UEGO sensors come up every now and then on the HotRod list.  The last I hear
they were available but they are very expensive - hundreds of dollars range.
However, if all you need it for is tuning - it is my understanding that air/
fuel ratio can me determined from the CO level.  One of the rags like Hotrod or
Carcraft tested a device that you would calibrate by measuring free air.  Then
you stick it in the exhaust pipe and it tells you the CO level (ppm I assume)
and from there you can determine the approximate air/fuel ratio.  With
catastrophic converters your answer would be off - at least around
stoichiometric.  So I suspect a tap befor the cats would be necessary.

I don't know if I still have the above issue, nor did I remember who made the
device.  I suspect there is more than one available.

So can you build a cheap one?  There are plenty of CO detectors for fire/smoke
alarms out there.  Maybe one could be used in an automotive enviroment?

Dirk