2 Layer PCB boards.

Dale Ulan ulan at ee.ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 27 12:54:35 GMT 1994

> I hear this all of the time: when refering to a 2 layer board, does
> that mean front and back, or actually 2 layers (boards) such that there
> is a front, back, and "middle" sandwiched between?

2-layer refers to a double-sided board (2 copper layers).

3 (and higher) layer refers to boards with sandwiched copper layers.

4 layer boards are the 'standard' multilayer board for most multilayer
applications: top and bottom for signal, two mid layers for power and
ground. I've seen boards with up to 8 layers in them.

> BTW, that is great that place in Canada makes those PCB boards.  I'm sick
> of home fab IT SUCKS.  I've spent well over $80 on the different techniques
> of home fab, and even when the boards do come out right, it still takes you
> hours, and hours to do it.

Which company are you referring to? There are at least three decent PC board
makers up here. I know there's one in Vancouver, another somewhere in
eastern Canada, and the one I usually use in in Calgary.

-Dale