RE PCB boards

Dirk Broer OADDAB at abacus.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 27 13:21:12 GMT 1994

>I hear this all of the time: when refering to a 2 layer board, does
>that mean front and back, or actually 2 layers (boards) such that there
>is a front, back, and "middle" sandwiched between?

Two layer is normal front and back.

Beyond that you go to "multi-layer" in which the circuit boards are made up of
multiple 2-layer sections bonded together.  If you ca get away with 2 layers it
is much easier - and cheaper.  Multilayer ads another level of complexity,
limits what changes you can do to the board afterwards, and introduces many
more areas for mistakes.  Typically for multilayer boards we add "Coupons" to
the layout.  These are little circuits that are made at the same time as the
main circuit board and can later be destructively tested to insure that the
main circuit board was done correctly.  Typically the two outermost levels
become ground planes for EMI shielding.  Your $100 circuit board would quickly
become a $600 one...  Not to mention to be practicle you would probably need
software with auto-routing capability.

>BTW, that is great that place in Canada makes those PCB boards.  I'm sick
>of home fab IT SUCKS.  I've spent well over $80 on the different techniques
>of home fab, and even when the boards do come out right, it still takes you
>hours, and hours to do it.

At NASA one of the branches has a milling machine (C&C ? ) hooked to a CAD
system.  The mill cuts away at the copper clad board - the same mill also
drills the holes.  No chemical etching!!

Dirk