New Subscriber Intro

Dave Faris dwfaris at jagger.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Sep 28 19:57:52 GMT 1994

Hi DIY-EFI people,

I'm newly subscribed, so I thought I'd make a quick introduction.
My name (obviously) is Dave Faris (occassionally, I sign myself
Big Wave Dave....a not so accurate throw-back to my high-school
days).  I'm doing research towards my PhD at University Of California
Berkeley.  I rarely get to play around with my own cars (I have
a 1986 Jeep CJ7, and a 1972 Chevy Impala 400), but this is mostly
a result of time and money.  I am, however, actively involved in
building and working engines.

I formerly worked at NISMO - Japan, doing both simulations (!?!?!)
and experiments regarding all kinds of fuel injection and combustion
chamber/port systems.  I've been back in the US now for a while
(thank god), and I'm currently building a single cylinder, high
speed research engine.....it's called a CFR Engine, it's kindof
a standard in the old fuel ratings industry, but it was basically
a beast (very big....to withstand big time detonation).  We've
lightened it up a bit, and hope to do something called

	"CYCLE RESOLVED CONTROLS"

This means making fast measurements, and doing fuel injection/ignition
and possibly even swirl control EVERY CYCLE.  Our main goal is to
implement In-Cylinder-Pressure-Measurement on this cycle resolved basis,
and use this signal to control injection/spark/maybe even port swirl
or port activation/deactivation.

Right now, I'm spending most of my time with little sub-systems.....
you know, water pumps, heat exchanger, etc....  Soon, I will get to
ignition and injection systems, at which point you all may be able
to point me in the right directions.  Until then, I will monitor
newsletter traffic and suck it all up.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Dave