Methanol, O2 sensors, N2O solenoids.

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Thu Apr 6 23:49:34 GMT 1995

Michael F. Sargent writes:
> ii/  Does the output of an oxygen sensor reflect the air-fuel mixture
>      being correct FOR ALL FUELS? IE in a petrol engine at stoic
>      (14.7:1) the voltage is in the 'transition zone' of ~0.2-0.7v
>      Will this voltage 'transition zone' hold true for any fuel type
>      at a stochiometric (ideal) air - fuel ratio?
>
> I bought the MSD Rich-Lean Indicator, which is a heated O2 sensor and a small
> box with flashing red and green LEDs. The instructions indicate that this will
> show a both red and green lights to indicate a stoic mixture, for gasoline,
> M100 and propane. There are no adjustments possible.
>
> I don't know the answer to your question, but the above makes me suspect that
> the answer is "yes".

The answer is yes.  You can get into something called "hydrogren
shift" with fuels with a high Hydrogen/Oxygen ratio though (or was
it H/Carbon?) which throws off the output, but I don't think it's enough
to worry about unless you are trying for ULEV or something.

> iii/ Can Nitrous solenoids be 'dithered' by duty cycle (like a lot of
>      idle air valves are)? The idea here is to make the onset of
>      nitrous delivery more smooth. (Assume the amount of fuel put into
>      the engine is increased proportional to the nitrous amount)
>
> The proportional NO2 systems being sold by NOS apparently do the same thing.
> Write or call for their literature, and I'd guess you'll get enough info to
> be certain.

The NOS systems are using their plain old solenoids for this.  However,
the seat really takes a beating and can no longer be used for normal
ON-OFF (it will leak...bad).  NOS adds a second solenoid for arm/disarm.

Jonathan R. Lusky                        lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
http://www.edge.net/~lusky/                 (615) 726-8700