MAP map or MAF map

Zublin, Bryan (SD-MS) BZUBLIN at po2.gi.com
Fri Apr 7 01:36:43 GMT 1995

>> As for fuel curves, the speed density mapping is calibrated empirically.

>I love that bit - makes tuning lots easier.

What is the consensus with the diy-efi'ers out there:  do you prefer
manifold air pressure (MAP) sensing or mass air flow (MAF) sensing to
determine the air flow into the engine.  Seems to me that probability of
success and ease of tuning would be achieved with the MAF sensor.  It
measures mass flow directly, and is not affected by changes in temperature
or barometric pressure.  A first order approximation of the injector pulse
width could be made if one knows the flow rate of the injector and the mass
air flow.  This would make getting the engine running for the first time
much easier.

Ford sells their MAF for the 5.0 liter Mustang GT for around $150.  It can
flow enough for at least 210 horsepower.

Bryan Zublin
General Instrument, San Diego, CA, USA
bzublin at gi.com