Fuel injector driver from Cherry Semiconductor

Zublin, Bryan (SD-MS) BZUBLIN at po2.gi.com
Fri Apr 7 22:31:05 GMT 1995

In the Cherry Semiconductor Automotive IC Data Book (1992), they list an
"injector solenoid driver."  The part number is CS-452 (2.4A peak current),
and the CS-453 (4.4 A peak current).  These parts appear to be equivalents
to the Motorola MC3484S2-2 and MC3484S4-2, respectively.  The pinout and
package are the same.  Comparison of the specs shows identical performance.
 I have no idea what these cost, or if they are still available.

I once spoke to one of the Haltek engineers.  He said that they were using
the Motorola part in their EFI unit.  I believe that he said that Motorola
was going to stop making this part.  Can anyone confirm this?

Has anyone ever performed any tests to determine if this type of driver has
significant advantages over a simple power MOSFET switch?  From what I can
tell, the peak/hold type of driver has the following benefits:  faster
opening of the injector; lower power dissipation, and less affect from power
supply changes.  I suspect that very few OEMs use this IC because of the
cost.

PS.  Coming soon to a computer near you:  MSD 6A schematics!

Bryan Zublin
General Instrument, San Diego, CA, USA
bzublin at gi.com