EFI for a Mini

station.MV.COM!mvarc!an!adh station.MV.COM!mvarc!an!adh
Sat Apr 22 07:15:35 GMT 1995

Andrei Chichak said:

	Many moons ago, I believe, Steven Ciciora suggested that I try  a
	Bosch  CIS   system with the swinging gate metering system.  This
	is quite a good suggestion if you had access to injectors of  the
	appropriate  size.   The  problem  comes in with the weird intake
	system that a Mini has.  Cylinders 1 and 2 share an  intake  port
	and  3 and 4 share the other.  This makes for 180 degrees between
	intake cycles then a quiescent period of 360 degrees.  With a CIS
	system  that  is  always  pissing out fuel, the first one to open
	will get the accumulated pissing of 360 degrees  into  the  port,
	the  valve  opens  for  ~180  degrees (for arguments sake we will
	assume digital valves) then the valve closes and its buddy  opens
	for  ~180  degrees.  Therefore the first cylinder will run richer
	than its buddy.

	The solution is to use a sequential system with two injectors per
	runner, shooting across the port at the valve.

you could weld tabs to the intake that would stick into the head and
effectively divide the siamesed ports.  it's been done before, i think
with some of the detroit engines of the '50s.