MAP map or MAF map

Zublin, Bryan (SD-MS) BZUBLIN at po2.gi.com
Sat Apr 22 12:34:33 GMT 1995

Robert Dingli wrote:

> MAF systems require inlet air temp for compensation as do MAP systems.
 MAF
> system also use a barometric pressure sensor for compensation while MAP
> systems don't.

Robert,
I thought that one of the benefits of the MAF was that correction for
barometric pressure (altitude) was NOT required.  I do not have practical
experience with MAFs, I am merely repeating what I have read in the
literature (mainly SAE papers).  Regarding the air temp compensation, isn't
this inherent in the MAF because of the reference temp sensor that is
upstream of the hot wire?

> Ford sells there MAP for around Aus$40-50 (US$30-37).  It can provide an
> air flow estimate for almost any non-turbo car or bike and you still need
> one for a MAF system.

I agree that the MAP is the way to go for low cost and minimal restriction.
 It was my thought that an MAF sensor would simplify the calibration of an
EFI system, assuming that one had the calibration curve for the actual
sensor.  I would still want to have a MAP sensor for the ignition map.

Bryan Zublin
General Instrument, San Diego, CA, USA
bzublin at gi.com