MAP map or MAF map

Rod Barman rodb at cs.ubc.ca
Sat Apr 22 15:44:09 GMT 1995

> I thought that one of the benefits of the MAF was that correction for
> barometric pressure (altitude) was NOT required.  I do not have practical
> experience with MAFs, I am merely repeating what I have read in the
> literature (mainly SAE papers).  Regarding the air temp compensation, isn't
> this inherent in the MAF because of the reference temp sensor that is
> upstream of the hot wire?

MAF measures air MASS and does not in itself require air temperature
compenstation.  The confusion arises for two reasons: 1. Bosch air-vane
style meters measure volume and do require temperature compensation and
2. air temperature information can still be useful to the engine
management system to retard timing and reduce knock.  So it is quite
commone to find an air temperature sensor in most efi systems.

--rod.

--
Rod Barman, IRIS ISDE-6 @ Laboratory for Computational Intelligence
University of British Columbia