efficiencies

robert dingli r.dingli at ee.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Aug 2 00:58:28 GMT 1995

> Say, anyone out there know how much energy is in a gallon of gasoline?
> Specifically, the gas today in SoCal.  Also, what is a typical engine
> efficiency for a big block V8?

Typical efficiency for a modern efi engine would be around 30-32% at the
point of maximum efficiency  (WOT 2000 - 5000 rpm).  Overall operating
efficiency may be 5-10% depending on use.

I'd guess that a big block V8 would be less efficient, but admit that I've
never had the opportunity (luckily) to test one in our engine labs.

The largest engines we've tested (apart from diesels) are 4.0 litre 6
cylider passenger car engines.  38 - 42% is the best we have been able
to attain using high compression, high turbulence, lean burn designs.

Robert 'off to inject hydrogen into the Lancia' Dingli
             Robert Dingli           r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au

Power and Control Systems                 Thermodynamics Research Lab
Electrical Engineering                    Mechanical Engineering
   (+613) 9344 7966                          (+613) 9344 6728
  University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3052, Victoria, AUSTRALIA