Engine dyno for EFI project

Markus Strobl etxmst at sta.ericsson.se
Tue Aug 8 14:32:02 GMT 1995

> >Hello,
> >        Does anyone have any tips or plans on how to build an engine dyno?
> >Before I start my efi project I want to build a dyno so I can benchmark my
> >results and debug the system in the shop.
> >
> >I guess the industry uses a water pump for a load, I'm not sure how to do the
> >calculations, do you use water pressure as a measurement, flow rate of
> >liquid?  What method could be used to calibrate?  Any advice on where to get an
> >applicable pump?
> >
> >thanks,
> >        Dave.
>
> Hi Dave.
>
>         What about to use a torqe converter from a car. Block the output
> shaft and fill it more or less with oil. Pump the oil to/from a tank of
> 250L.
> If neserarry wind a coldwater tube in the tank. It could work;-). and it
> would be very economic.
>
> Any opinion on this?

I don't think this is a good idea. What you're describing is similar
to power braking a car, i.e. pressing the gas and the brake at the
same time. Torque converter manufacturers warn that more than 10
secs of power braking can cause something called balloning. Balloning
is caused by the extreme internal pressures during power braking, and
it ruins the converter.

Markus (also in Sweden...Hi Sven-Erik)