Engine dyno for EFI project

Bruce Bowling bowling at cebaf.gov
Tue Aug 8 14:07:26 GMT 1995

~
~ Another comment related to engine dynos ...
~
~ There also exist commerically available vehicle performance computers. If what
~ you're looking for is a quick, simple, and relatively inexpensive means of
~ evaluating the performance benefits of changes to your vehicle, this might
~ be the ticket.  The device I'm familiar is a small box, about 20 cm x 10 cm
~ x 5 cm, with an accelerometer, an LED display, and some electronics.  It
~ could be easily mounted to a dashboard or suction-cupped to a windshield.
~ It recorded 0-60 mph time, 0-100 ft time and speed, etc.  It was very
~ easy to use, portable, less than $500, and when used with care (i.e. average
~ several tests, run the vehicle both directions to minimize wind and elevation
~ effects) it proved helpful in evaluating supercharger changes.  I cannot
~ remember the name of the device, but I have seen it sold via Ford Motorsport.
~ Has anyone else used one of these things or recall the name?
~
~
~ ---
~ Anthony Tsakiris
~
~ The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.
~

The unit I have used is the Vericom computer.  It works OK for street cars
but cars with much vibration (racing) will cause false readings.

One can do the same thing on the street (quite crude) by correlating engine
RPMS with MPH (i.e. staying in one gear) and doing WOT acceleration runs
saving the time it takes to obtain various RPMs, like 1000 RPM increments.
A little math will yield a result for horsepower and torque.  This method
is quite error prone, however, and neither the Vericom or the "road" dyno
technique I just described take into account differing environmental
conditions, which can have a major impact on results.  Of course, one
can correct obtained values to standard or SAE conditions (I have a WEB
page which performs the correction calculation).

If there is interest, I can make a web page which does the math for the
road dynomometer test (with environment correction).

- Bruce

               Bruce A. Bowling
  Staff Scientist - Instrumentation and Controls
 The Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility
    12000 Jefferson Ave - Newport News, VA 23602
                 (804) 249-7240
                bowling at cebaf.gov
        http://devserve.cebaf.gov/~bowling