Dynamometer, affordable

Frank_Marrone at optilink.optilink.dsccc.com Frank_Marrone at optilink.optilink.dsccc.com
Thu Aug 31 22:20:54 GMT 1995

On Aug 31,  3:04pm, Harmon Sommer wrote:
> Subject: Re: Dynamometer, affordable
>...The planetary gears
> were restrained by a yoke, which reacted against a hydraulic piston.
> Pressure information from this piston was displayed to the flight engineer.
> This information related directly to engine torque i.e. an in flight
> dynamometer (or six of them; one for each engine).

The hydraulic piston is how we planned to measure force on our DIY dyno.
 Standard hydraulic cylinders can be purchased with ratings from hundreds to
 thousands of PSI and the the piston diameters are either specified or can be
measured.  You simply apply the load to the ram and measure the fluid preassure
at the (normally) input port and calculate torque based on piston area and
lever arm length.  Empiric calibration of such a device would be very easy as
well.

Frank Marrone at marrone at optilink.dsccc.com
1965 Sunbeam Tiger B9471116
1960 Sumbean Pintopine Series I B9009330
1966 Ford LTD 4-door family barge.