Inductive Pickup [don't do this!]

Carter Hendricks carterh at crl.com
Fri Dec 1 05:41:44 GMT 1995

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995 m_mcdonald at marx.enet.dec.com wrote:

> At idle speeds, most modern ignition systems should produce a spark
> that jumps an air gap of at least 3/8" and displays a solid blue
> color.  Be careful doing this by removing a spark plug wire while
> the engine is running because you could get zapped,

						-could- get zapped?

A GM HEI got me once working around my distributor machine. The tightness
across my chest was angina, lasted a week, and I never spoke a word about
it to my wife, Lynn.  Please don't mess around with this stuff.

> you remove it with one bare hand and brace yourself to a metal part
> of the car with the other hand.  Inexpensive variable air gaps, that
> connect the end of a spark plug wire inside its boot to ground via
> the air gap, are available.

Just put a spark plug at the end of the cable and lay the plug on a
grounded surface. And don't touch it. Please be careful.

				--Carter