Propane Motor Fuel Injection

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Tue Dec 5 01:22:28 GMT 1995

Yo Johnny...

> the sump of course. The nitrogen would probably come from a 3000 psi scuba
> bottle, regulated to 300 psi or so. Would have to see what it cost for the

What if you just regulated the nitrogen to, say, 200 PSI at the bottle
and fed it into a vapor outlet on the standard  propane  tank.    This
should  keep  the  pressure  in the tank at a fairly constant 200 PSI,
which is within system limits, regardless of what the  vapor  pressure
of the propane happens to be at that temperature...

> I think it will take both a pressure head (like the N) and a liquid
> regulator (set to about 150psi or so) to get it to be stable enough. Then
> with the computer compensating for the small fluctuations that still exist,
> I think it is do-able.

In spite of what I  said  above,  I'm  still  not  convinced  on  this
nitrogen thing.  I'd like to make this a commercial  system,  sell  it
and  make  millions, but I'm not sure that average consumer would want
to deal with having extra nitrogen tanks et al stuffed into his  daily
driver,  nor bear the added expense of custom pressure tanks, nitrogen
refills, etc.  I, for one, would not want to have to deal with this on
a daily basis for the rest of my vehicle's natural life.

Having  said  that,  this would definitely work for the prototype, and
allow you to concentrate on the computer end of things for the initial
unit.  A commercial system would probably have to use some kind  of  a
pump  system  to  raise the fuel pressure above what would normally be
encountered for a reasonable range of ambient temperatures.  You could
use a pump with excess flow capability above what  the  engine  needs,
and a pressure relief bypass back to the tank (similar to a hydraulic
system)  which  would inherently give a semi-regulated pressure to the
injector  fuel  rail  (this  is essentially what a gasoline EFI system
does now, the only difference would be the pressures involved).    The
computer could then deal with the rest.

dn

--
\/ Darrell A. Norquay                   Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca      /\