ECM/PCM/VCM modifications

Daniel R Burk ws6transam at voyager.net
Mon Dec 18 23:46:01 GMT 1995

Steve: I wish you could have been there too.  I think you are onto something
when
you say that emissions changes could be made with simple black-box
techniques.  More
than likely it would come in the form of modifications to the Tech-1
diagnostic scan tool that GM sells to the dealership.  You are right too.
It is uncompetitive.

I have to admit, I went round and round with our nameless VCM engineer about
how it
was a rather unpopular and unwise path that GM was taking. His argument was
that if comeone wraps their supercharged, intercooled, computer-modified
Chevy Z28
around a tree at 168MPH, it will be GM that gets sued, not the aftermarket
manufacturers or the mechanic who installed all of this equipment.  I said
that was a rather cynical outlook, and that if GM suceeded in their attempt
to stop aftermarket tampering, that I would just go buy a Ford.  He said
Ford was doing the same thing.  I said I would then go buy a Mitsubishi, in
that case.

The intent (according to this engineer) it not just to prevent VCM
modifications, but to establish operating parameters for stock engines that
make it prohibitively expensive to modify.  Anything that would change the
net output of the powertrain (such as headers, modified intake tracts,
non-stock gear ratios, cylinder porting, etc.) could place the powertrain
outside it's programmed fuel map, causing an engine fault condition to be
stored.

Gee, if this was the old west, I'd feel kind of like I was buying a horse
that could only follow the wagon trail where everyone else has already gone.
Is trailblazing going to die?  I doubt it.  A few years of this cynical
thinking will prevail, then some automotive company ( Nissan? Chrysler?
Hyundai? ) will come out with this little ripper that is supported by a
million aftermarket suppliers.  Company supported modifications will make it
the fastest(and cheapest) darn thing on two wheels and thousands of
performance buffs will flock to a new badge.

-- Dan.