All the EST

J.W. Harris jwharris at holli.com
Tue Dec 19 02:23:48 GMT 1995

>MTaylorfi at aol.com writes:
>>
>> Now please don't get me wrong, but what is the point of going so ape over an
>> EST.  Top fuelers are using Magnetos and runnin' fours.  I see all kind of
>> rails at Bandimere speedway (1/4 mile track) that have either stock
>> electronic or minimumly modified ignition and the're runnin' sevens.  My
>> point is why spend the time, effort and money to design something that won't
>> do better that what is out there (cost and performance).  I'm not tryin' to
>> be a pessimist, but can someone show me actual quicker quarter mile times or
>> dyno tests.
>
>uhm, this ain't the dragrace list, dude.  For most of us the throttle
>has many more positions than ON and OFF.  Top fuelers run at WOT, near
>constant load and speed i believe.  They can't benefit from spark
>advance of any form.  My 68 Camaro's 350 on the other hand sees full throttle
>at any speed between 1800 RPM and 5500RPM...  and theres a significant
>difference in MBT timing for 1800RPM WOT and 5500RPM WOT on my motor.
>If I was just worried about WOT, tho, good ole mechanical advance would
>do everything I need.  But I spend a lot more time at part throttle on
>the street than I do at WOT.  And the difference between MBT timing
>at 1800RPM idling and 1800RPM WOT is MUCH larger than the difference
>between MBT timing at 1800RPM WOT and 5500RPM WOT.  SO it probably won't
>help your quarter mile...  but it'll sure help your idle, fuel economy,
>streetability, etc.

Well said, Johathan.

And here's a quote from my list of famous ones.  I'll post the rest if there
is interest:

"But what ... is it good for?"
       --Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
commenting on the microchip.

Unfortunately this is more of the same disease infecting NASCAR.  I guess
there are good arguments against adding electronic controls, but when INDY
Cars can get ~750 H.P. from ~3.5 liters well. . .
J.W. Harris                                          Delco Electronics Corp.
Project Engineer                                     One Corporate Center
Powertrain Electronics                               M.S. CT40C
                                                     Kokomo, IN 46904-9005
jwharris at kocrsv01.delcoelect.com

Of course, all responses are my own and should not be mistaken for those of
Delco Electronics or General Motors.