ECM/PCM/VCM modifications

Ed Lansinger elansi01 at mpg.gmpt.gmeds.com
Tue Dec 19 07:47:05 GMT 1995

Dan Burk wrote:

>I said
>that was a rather cynical outlook, and that if GM suceeded in their attempt
>to stop aftermarket tampering, that I would just go buy a Ford.  He said
>Ford was doing the same thing.  I said I would then go buy a Mitsubishi, in
>that case.
>
>The intent (according to this engineer) it not just to prevent VCM
>modifications, but to establish operating parameters for stock engines that
>make it prohibitively expensive to modify.

Part of the reason is that new government regulations *require* the
automakers (all of them) to implement strategies that prevent anyone from
changing the code in the ECM/PCM/VCM.

Souping up cars is one way that people enjoy these products.  It's especially
nice because it tends to make the product more visible.  These facts are not
lost on the automakers (especially since they are populated by a bunch of car
nuts frequently working on their own side projects).

The problem is that nobody has yet figured out a way to make a car that the
customer can modify *and* comply with all the new regulations.
If that wasn't an issue, it would probably come down to warranty and
liability concerns, which have never before incited the industry to attempt
such extreme measures.  As it is, nobody really has the resources to
put the time into figuring out this problem, especially to address such
a small segment of the market.

That's where the aftermarket can step in.  It's going to be a real challenge
for them, both technically and legally.

The thought of not being able to toy with my car breaks my heart.

Ed Lansinger
GM Powertrain Premium V (Northstar/Aurora) Software & Calibration Group

* The writing above comprises my personal opinions only and does not reflect an
official or unoffical position of my employer. *