Knock sensing

john carroll jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us
Wed Dec 20 02:23:13 GMT 1995

Harris Semiconductor makes a wonderful knock sensor processor, HIP9010.

I use it in an aircraft engine ignition controller that I build.  It is the only way that I have
been able to hear throught all the banging and slapping that goes on in one of those
lightly built engines under normal conditions.  It will allow you to watch a narrow
frequency band and compare it to the realtive power in another band.  You can switch
back and forth between different physical sensors between ignition pulses and even
switch bands before and after each spark event to watch different frequencies.

The device puts out an analog signal to indicate relative power.  You set the gain
for each of the comparison channels  After using it in the analog mode for a while I
figured out that it is better and faster to set the gain and use it as a binary input instead
of doing an analog conversion each time.  I use it with aftermarker GM style sensors.
About any thing would work.

A clever person could build a device that would make good use of this part.  I have
considered a system that would monitor and record transmission and gear noises on
heavy equipment.  If things begin to change rapidly it could signal for a shut down.

You can get a data sheet from their fax back system at 407/742-3937.  some one
needs to buy a bunch of these so that they do not go the way of the
Silicons Systems device.

I would like to communicate with any one that has experience with this device.

John Carroll
307 674-8469