Hack thought for MAS system???

Merlin drwho at connectnet.com
Fri Dec 29 03:44:25 GMT 1995

>Most MAF sensors I've seen output 0 to 5 volts as a function of
>air-flow. You could just tack some electronics in the output line
>that divided the output signal down so say 5v from the MAF get's
>transmitted to the ECO as 4.0v for example. i.e stick a divider on
>the input signal to the ECU. This would increase the amount of air
>the MAF could flow before the ECU pulled the plug.

>From what I have seen even if you lower the voltage on a MAF you still are
restricted by its physical diameter, porting can help to a point depending
on the style of MAF. If you lower the voltage that the MAF tells the ECU,
then the ECU is not going to compensate with enough fuel, and you may run
lean or detonate. The ECU has to be told about the reduction of voltage to
match the increase of air flow that is possible.

>>To compensate for the lean
>>condition(s) that would result I would install larger injectors. I
>>think a larger injector would provide more fuel at a given pulse width
>>thereby compensating for the extra airflow.

If you install bigger injectors that dont match the response time of the OE
injectors or if you go too big and the injectors are too slow then you can
run into mixtures problems. The ECU needs to know the properties of the
bigger injectors.

>You could save on the new injectors and just jack up the fuel rail
>pressure to create the extra flow for a given p/w.

That can work too.

>Closed loop idle and closed loop running is where I'd see it all
>falling down. The adaptive values learnt may be so large that they
>could hit the max/min adaptive value clips and so cause the ECU to
>believe that the HEGO(s) had failed.

HEGO? What does that stand for?