your mail

Dale Ulan ulan at ee.ualberta.ca
Tue Feb 7 18:20:49 GMT 1995

>Also I have an old 2.3 liter 4 cylinder Ford engine that I was wanting to
>convert to a test bed. Since this chip seems to require cam and crankshaft
>timing pulses I'm wondering if the latest distributorless efi versions of this
>engine generate timing signals from both cam and crankshaft. Or perhaps I could
>get the camshaft timing from the distributor.

Yes. You can make your timing pickup (a star-shaped piece of metal)
into a two-level kind of thing. The first (existing) level would be
used by your standard pickup coil, generating 180' pulses. The
other 'level' would be made by you grinding off three of the four
lobes (but only on the 'upper' or 'lower' half of it), and using
a second pickup. Note that the second pickup may need to have the
magnetic polarity set up to match the first pickup.
It's a bit of work, but probably less than modifying the engine's internals
to generate the pulses.

The 1.9L Fords have a crankshaft pickup with a lot of teeth, and
a cam pickup to sync the ECM to the engine for SEFI timing. The
ignition module doesn't need this signal, though.

-Dale