Motorola 68f333

Rod Barman rodb at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Feb 16 09:24:04 GMT 1995

The 68F333 is essentially a 68332 with 64K of flash memory (a 16K bank
and a 48K bank) with an 8 channel-muxed 10 bit A/D converter.  I too was
really keen to use this chip for robotics work but I couldn't get
samples or pricing.  The latest poop from a Motorola guy on the 'hc11
list is that Motorola is having trouble with the reliability of the
flash memory when implemented in the process used to make the '332.
This is why they are also having trouble with the 'hc16 flash variant.
Incidentally, the 'F333 was supposedly developed in collaboration with
BMW.

The end result is that it isn't really that much work to add the
flash and the converter to the '332 and it's a whole lot cheaper.
Until the new blazer started gobbling up '332s (there's 3 of them in it
I've heard), you used to be able to go out and buy these parts without
too much sweat.

I'm hoping to take some of the experience I've gained building a '332
board for robotics and apply it to an engine computer (with Dale's
help!!).  So far the processor ('332), memory (64K static), flash,
power supply (National simple switcher), A/D (MAX186) and connector
(mil style twisty things) seem like good choices to me but I'm
undecided about everything else like O2 amps, injector drivers, input
protection, etc.

--rod.

--
Rod Barman, IRIS ISDE-6 @ Laboratory for Computational Intelligence