Superchips

Rod Barman rodb at cs.ubc.ca
Fri Feb 24 04:24:50 GMT 1995

Hi Todd,

> Yep.  That would be the "upgrades" for the Eagle Talon and Dodge
> Stealth and their siblings.  Both are different ECUs, but they
> didn't do ANYTHING to either of them.  Even had the gall to put
> a sticker on the chip they "reprogrammed".  For your 350 dollars,
> you got that sticker plus a real nice bleeder valve for the
> wastegate on your turbo.

How did you figure this out?  Did you actually dump the ROMs and
compare and find no difference?

> I posted this to the list I run (Talon/Eclipse/Laser).  It got reposted
> all over the net.  Somehow, Mr. Wales got a copy of it.  He defended
> himself by saying that he had a money back guarentee and no one had
> returned their units.  That's the sort of shop he runs - profit by
> others' ignorance, instead of adding real value to the transaction.

So he admitted he did this?  Did the advertising state that the
unit had been reprogrammed?  If so, it sounds like fraud ... I hope
you got your money back.

> I don't mind for profit ventures on
> my list, as long as the person subscribed seems to contribute to the
> discussion.  Does he do that for us here on DIY?  Doesn't look like it to
> me...  At least he doesn't advertise on my list.  The second he tries, he's
> gone...

This brings up an interesting point.  What is the status of the info on
this list?  I had been assuming that it was more or less public but
that it would be unethical to use it for profit.  Comments? John?

I've got a MC68332 FI design in the works that I was planning on sharing
with the list on a non-commericial basis.  I'd be more hesitant about
sharing it if somebody could take it and profit from it.  We don't want
to end up being the superchip r & d lab!!!!

--rod.

--
Rod Barman, IRIS ISDE-6 @ Laboratory for Computational Intelligence
University of British Columbia