Hall Effect Gear Tooth Sensor

MTN-KAT met at pine.cse.nau.edu
Wed Jan 4 23:47:21 GMT 1995

I mounted my flywheel on a rotary table on a vertical mill and installed 8
magnets. I am using some Hall sensors that are Unipolar, they are made by
Panasonic and I got them from Digi-Key.
I don't know that you'd be able to magnetize the ring-gear teeth in a uniform
manner that would result in all of the teeth having the proper polarity.
I had considered using an LED transmitter/receiver unit gating through the
ring-gear, problem would be keeping the optics clean.

As far as mounting the sensor goes, I just carved up a chunk of acrylic and ran
the leads through it. I left ears that have screw clearance holes that
correspond to the tapped holes in the engine to bellhousing plate that I cut.

Millam