Hall Effect Gear Tooth Sensor

A.DENNISON -EN320/TEL.8296 ADEN at mechman.mm.swin.edu.au
Thu Jan 5 06:21:11 GMT 1995

On Wed, 4 Jan 1995, Jim Pieronek wrote:

> Can anyone give me a source for a Hall Effect Sensor for detecting
> the teeth on a ring gear?  Any advice or experience on mounting and
> using such a sensor would be appreciated also.

I would use an inductive pickup.  These are used on most EFI cars and are
also available from other sources.  These sensors produce an AC signal
which you could interface to a uP with an NPN and a few resistors:

               VCC

                \
                / Rc
                \
                |---- To uP input
       Rin      C
     -/\/\--- B     BC548, etc.
   |        |   E
   |        |   |
 Sensor Cb ---  |
   |       ---  |
   |________|___|
       GND

The RC time constant on the input filters out some sensor noise.  All
values are arbitrary. Try:

Rc  = 4k7
Rin = 10k
Cin = 0.1uF

You could use a comparitor with hysteresis if you want but this should work
OK.

You can interface RS232 in the same way if you want if you don't want to
waste space on a MAX232 and associated caps.

I hope this helps....
Andrew
Andrew Dennison - Research Associate
The CIM Centre