a few questions...

Lou Faustini faustini at lamp0.arl.army.mil
Tue Jan 10 14:34:08 GMT 1995

    Hi.
    Does anyone out there have any information on how to decypher the data
stream on the GM ALDL?  I have played with it a little, and all I have come
up with is the baud rate (8192bps) and what appears to be the markers for
start-of-frame. I have no idea what the data it is sending me is supposed to
mean. I assume things like airflow  and RPM are being sent, but I have no
way of knowing how they are encoded. I really don't feeel like disasembling
the 32k of 'hc11 code in the ECU, so any help would be appreciated.

   Next question--
   This isn't really a fuel-injection question, but I am sure some of you
know the answer to this one:

   Kawasaki and Yamaha just announced their 1995 jet-skii lineup. In the
spotlight are their new 3-cylinder motors. They range from 900 to 1100 cc's
in displacement. After I stoped drooling at the pictures, I read a little
about the motors. 2-cycle water-cooled, tripple carbs. No black magic...
Until you read abot the compression ratio. The Kaw motor has a compression
ratio of 5.5 to 1 !! the Yamaha motor runs 5.1 to 1 !!  This is very low in
contrast to their 750cc motors, which run typical stock ratios of 8-ish to
1. Aftermarkit kits for compression ratios of 10 to 1 are very popular for
the 750 motors, and have proven to be a powerful and reliable combination.
So my question is, why would ANYONE design a motor to run at 5-ish to one
compression? I heard once that in-line 6-cylinder 4-cycle motors have
problems spinning at high rpm's. I dont recall why. Is a 3-cylinder 2-cycle
motor subject to the same problems? Are these problems for real?   Any help
would be appreciated.

                                               ----- Lou Faustini