a few questions...

Steve=Ravet%Prj=Eng%PCPD=Hou at bangate.compaq.com Steve=Ravet%Prj=Eng%PCPD=Hou at bangate.compaq.com
Tue Jan 10 15:57:46 GMT 1995

faustini at lamp0.arl.army.mil (Lou Faustini) Wrote:

|     Hi.
|     Does anyone out there have any information on how to decypher
| the data
| stream on the GM ALDL?  I have played with it a little, and all I
| have come
| up with is the baud rate (8192bps) and what appears to be the
| markers for
| start-of-frame. I have no idea what the data it is sending me is
| supposed to
| mean. I assume things like airflow  and RPM are being sent, but I
| have no
| way of knowing how they are encoded. I really don't feeel like
| disasembling
| the 32k of 'hc11 code in the ECU, so any help would be
| appreciated.

Good question -- This topic was raised on the vettenet a month or so ago, and
the consensus was that GM isn't telling, at least not without a non-disclosure
agreement.  A fellow on the buick gn/t-type list decoded the data stream for
the GN, but it is a different type (about 100 baud, not an even rate, the ECM
just sends a bit whenever it gets some time).  He did it the hard way, a scope
to determine the baud rate, watch the frames, decipher what the stuff is.  He
had a tech-1 diagnostic computer or whatever also, which aided the job some.
I have tried calling GM/Chevrolet to get the info, to no avail, but I only
spent one afternoon doing it.  You are correct about the baud rate, but it is
TTL level, not RS-232.  This will drive most serial ports, however, if you use
a very short cable.  I experimented with this a little with my car ('89
corvette), but then I wrecked it, so I haven't done much since then.  There
are aftermarket diagnostic computers, though, so the information must be
available somewhere.

--steve