New Board, feedback needed

Nate patriot at kaiwan.com
Thu Jan 26 07:50:50 GMT 1995

A friend that has no access to the Net is going to come out with a new
board for HC11.

He told me that it would be 2 X 4.5 inches and contain a HC11 (A8 type)
and a ROM socket (up to 27256). It's a simple thing, just the CPU, a 10
pin .100 center header and surface mounted for most of the chips (HC11 is
direct on board) the rest is all prototyping area full of drilled pads.
The idea was for him to use it for control applications, in this case his
car, and he would add parts as per each application he would think up. I
guess you could mount a HC11 with 2K EEPROM and wire the ROM socket for a
RAM chip if you ran into a situation where you would need RAM. OH! I
forgot he includes a MAX-232 converter chip on board for RS-232
communication (and -10V if you want I guess).

The questions are:

What would you pay for a tested unit? (be fair)

What would you pay for a blank board, and would you be interested in a
blank board since most of it is surface mount?

Should he bother producing this for the hobby market anyway?

Are people going to say "basic stamp is better" ?

He may include some sample C code for driving things he will use for his
car, and I may add to it with my code I will generate for it (yes I
talked him into one for me!).

He is only running a few for now, but wants to run 100 or 200 for first
"production" run. Is this crazy? Does anyone recomend a company for
boards that is CHEAP (who cares about time!).

Your feedback is appreciated.