LOTS_O_HP'S

Mike Taylor mtaylor at slate.Mines.Colorado.EDU
Tue Jan 31 19:43:09 GMT 1995

 	I'm a senior at the Colorado School of Mines (graduating in 92 more
days!!!!) and I'm currently taking a class that involved a micro-controller
(Motorola mc68hc11 flavored) that the automotive industry utilizes.  This
"controller" does analog to digital voltage conversions and pulse width
modulation output control, the EXACT same thing the boys in Detroit do.
        I want to utilize a air mass meter (I can get them for around $100).
I plan on using this system on other vehicles.  MAP sensors a very
particular. Once a program is written for a certain application (the boat),
the system would not work on another system (a car).
        I'll need to set-up a crank trigger pick-up that will synchronize
which cylinder gets fuel and I'll need a pick-up that determines when #1
fires so as to get sequential fuel injection.
        An air temperature sensor is necessary in "tweaking" the air-fuel
ratio to optimum level.  An oxygen sensor would also be needed to "close the
loop" and have feedback controlling the amount of fuel injected.  And what
this is all for is......

  ......A 600 hp small block Chevy for a speed boat ('74 Starbuck) I
purchased in summer of '93.  I currently have about a 350 hp 350 small block
Chevy engine in the boat that I rebuilt in High School ('86).  It's ok, but
the boat needs more power.
        Now, how does one get 600 hp's off a small block Chevy?

                        TURBOSUPERCHARGERS!!!!!

        I plan on installing two t-4 Fairbanks turbochargers to another
small block engine (I currently have the turbos).  I'll need two
intercoolers plumbed after the turbos to rid the possibility for detonation.
I plan on using Saab intercoolers but modifying them so that water will be
the heat exchange medium (since the boat's on water, I'll have plenty at my
disposal).  The injection manifold will be the standard TPI found on current
5.0 and 5.7 TPI engines.
        The engine itself will be a 350 4-bolt main, unless I can find a
reasonably priced 400 4-bolt main.  I plan on using about 7-1 compression
pistons so I can boost the hell out of it (I plan on running 30-40 psi (I've
seen it done)).  With so much boost, detonation possibilities are increased.
Saab used a control system that entails a detonation sensor and "boost
pressure regulator".  When detonation occurs, it opens a valve that opens
the waste gate and bleeds off boost pressure.
        My biggest problem is camshaft selection.  I've built three
performance engines and read plenty of HOT ROD and CAR CRAFT magazines to
give me a good feel for selecting naturally aspirated camshafts, but I'm
clueless to the turbo realm.

        Any other suggestions are appreciated.  And do you know if there are
places to turn to on the "information highway" about turbocharging.  Thanks!!
--
Mike Taylor