LOTS_O_HP'S

sdbartho at cca.rockwell.com sdbartho at cca.rockwell.com
Tue Jan 31 20:37:26 GMT 1995

>                         TURBOSUPERCHARGERS!!!!!
>
>         I plan on installing two t-4 Fairbanks turbochargers to another
> small block engine (I currently have the turbos).  I'll need two
> intercoolers plumbed after the turbos to rid the possibility for detonation.
> I plan on using Saab intercoolers but modifying them so that water will be
> the heat exchange medium (since the boat's on water, I'll have plenty at my
> disposal).  The injection manifold will be the standard TPI found on current
> 5.0 and 5.7 TPI engines.

You'll need to know whether or not the turbos you have will be the right ones
for your application- It's not like slapping on a blower. I'd highly recommend
the Hugh McInnes book TURBOCHARGING- It gives a lot of theory on compressor/
turbine selection as well as a lot of other nice things you'll need to know.
It's a little dated, but is still valid from a general theory standpoint.
It contains a good deal of boat info too, which is a plus for you.

Banks, M&W, and Spearco all did a lot of work with boats in the early 80's.
They might have some custom parts that'll make you life easier.

Electronic boost control can be established really cheap by getting a wastegate
modulator valve off a '86-'87 Buick GN. It takes a variable pulse width and
an input pressure line from the manifold and outputs a variable pressure based
on the pulse width. Feed this pressure back into a conventional screw-type
wastegate, and you have the control you seek.  The '91-'92-'93 Syclone/Typhoon
also uses this, as does some of the Sunbird turbos I think.

Many will tell you to abandon turbos- "Too expensive, too much work,
unreliable"
Don't be too ready to believe them. I've been around them since the late '70s
and I know they can be made to do amazing things with proper engineering.

>         Any other suggestions are appreciated.  And do you know if there are
> places to turn to on the "information highway" about turbocharging.  Thanks!!
> --

The archives for the hotrod list had some info about turbos, and there are
many knowledgeable folks floating around the net. If I can find the hr archive
location (It's around here somewhere) I'll pass it along to ya if I see it.

Also, you might want to check out the 68HC711G7. It has extended pwm channels
over the plain vanilla varieties. I'm looking at it for a data logger for
the Sy/Ty.

Later,
Dig

Syclone/Typhoon mailing list.