LPG O2 sensors

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Thu Jul 27 01:26:02 GMT 1995

Craig Pugsley writes:

> Does anyone know if a standard O2 sensor will work with non-petrol
> fuels, such as LPG or Alcohol? I figure that if they work by residual
> oxygen then it should be OK (ignoring that the fuel might poison the
> sensor like leaded fuel).

Yes, works fine.  Be careful when using them with methanol, tho...
we seemed to have EGT related problems, and only had a VERY narrow
range around stoich that was consistant (like 50mV to each side).

> It appears that the liquid fuel from the tank goes to (probably via a
> pressure regulator) into a box that contains a standard EFI fuel system
> (pump/regulator etc). IE it's operation pumps the LPG around as a
> Liquid.

You don't need to "pump" LPG.  The vapor pressure should be adequate.

> Does anyone know how 'factory' efi vehicles with LPG option work? Surely
> they don't use the 'LPG carburettor' sort of equipment?

Never seen a vehicle from the factory with LPG equipment...

Jonathan R. Lusky                        lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
http://www.edge.net/~lusky/                 (615) 726-8700